29 January 2004 Edition

Resize: A A A Print

Man charged with sectarian murder bid

Victim Paul Denvir lost an eye and suffered serious head injuries

Victim Paul Denvir lost an eye and suffered serious head injuries

Stuart Dallas appeared at Belfast Magistrates court on Tuesday 27 January charged with the attempted murder of Catholic Paul Denvir (pictured) in a sectarian attack last year.

Denvir lost an eye and suffered serious head injuries when he was attacked by a gang of loyalists armed with hammers and machetes as he left the Boundary Bar on the Shore Road on 16 November last year.

A group calling itself the Loyalist Action Force, a cover name used by the UDA, claimed responsibility for the sectarian attack.

Dallas, a 23-year-old machine operator from Coolederry Gardens in the loyalist Rathcoole estate, Newtownabbey, was remanded in custody for a month but his solicitor said he would be applying for bail.

Commenting on the charge, Sinn Féin councillor Briege Meehan said it was about time the PSNI started to take attempted killings of Catholics seriously.


An Phoblacht
44 Parnell Sq.
Dublin 1
Ireland
 

Powered by Phoenix Media Group