24 January 2013
Video: Short Strand residents meet Oireachtas Good Friday committee
Gerry Adams TD repeated his call for ‘an all-party, cross-community response to the flag protests and the violence that has accompanied them’.
A DELEGATION of residents of the Short Strand area of east Belfast, which has been the target of loyalist attacks for the last seven weeks during protests about the Union flag, were at Leinster House in Dublin on Thursday to address the Joint Oireachtas Committee on the Implementation of the Good Friday Agreement.
They were welcomed by Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams TD.
Sinn Féin councillor for the area Niall Ó Donnghaile said the meeting provided community representatives with an opportunity to address the committee and to meet other Oireachtas members to tell them about the reality of life for the residents of the Short Strand “living under siege”.
Gerry Adams TD repeated his call for “an all-party, cross-community response to the flag protests and the violence that has accompanied them”.
“After the Massereene attack in 2009, in which two British soldiers were killed, and also when two members of the PSNI were killed, Martin McGuinness stood shoulder to shoulder with First Minister Peter Robinson and brought together all political, church and civic leaders to seek a way forward.
“This was to ensure that the tiny minority of voices who want to undermine progress already made, do not succeed.
“That approach is needed again,” he said.
Also in the delegation were Bernie McConnell (Short Strand Community Forum), Hugh McComb (Committee for Restorative Justice Ireland and interface resident) and Mairead O'Donnell (Short Strand Partnership Board).
Sinn Féin National Draw 2016
An initiative for dialogue
— — — — — — —
Contributions from key figures in the churches, academia and wider civic society as well as senior republican figures
Premium Online Service For Only €10 Per Year
For less than €1 a month, you get An Phoblacht’s Premium Online Service. Sign up today!
- Full access to all An Phoblacht articles
- Interactive online PDF Booklet of each edition
- Access to our historic Archives
- Discounts for the Online Sinn Féin Shop
Special 1916 Centenary Edition
• Introduction by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams
• 1916 Ceannairí | Biographies of the leading men and women who took part in the Rising
• Seven Days, Seven Men, Seven Hills | By Éamonn Mac Thomáis, republican activist, writer and historian
• Women in struggle | by Máire Comerford, a lifelong republican who witnessed central events in 1916-23
• Chronology of events
• Map and description of the main battles and major events
• The Rising outside Dublin
• Stop press! Censorship and the media reaction to Easter 1916
• Roger Casement | 1916 rebel and a national hero on the Faroe Islands
• Internationalists in the Easter Rising | Scandinavian rebels in the GPO and ANZAC troops in Trinity College