18 December 2012
Trade union supporters urged to buy from ‘Fair Shops’ this Christmas
Retailers included on the Fair Shop list are: Argos, Arnotts, Boots, Brown Thomas, Caulfield’s Supervalu, Clerys, Debenhams, Heaton’s, Hickeys, Penneys, Pettit’s Supervalu, Shaws, Shoe Zone, Superquinn and Tesco Ireland
TRADE UNION members, families and friends are being urged to do their Christmas shopping at ‘Fair Shops’ – ones which recognise trade unions.
Mandate trade union has launched its Fair Shop campaign to highlight and encourage customers to shop at places that treat their employees fairly.
Mandate says the campaign is planned to be “a long-term, sustained and innovative effort to provide information to consumers to encourage them to spend their money at shops that respect the rights of their employees”.
Mandate General Secretary John Douglas said the campaign has been launched due to the actions of some employers who do not respect the rights of their workers to be represented by a trade union. He said such actions have led to “a constant attack on agreed wages and conditions resulting in a race to the bottom” adding:
“In a shrinking market it is important that union members and their families across Ireland support the retail companies who support their workers.”
The Fair Shop campaign also aims to reward retailers that recognise trade unions and do business with Mandate by helping to increase their business and market share.
Retailers included on the Fair Shop list are: Argos, Arnotts, Boots, Brown Thomas, Caulfield’s Supervalu, Clerys, Debenhams, Heaton’s, Hickeys, Penneys, Pettit’s Supervalu, Shaws, Shoe Zone, Superquinn and Tesco Ireland with more to be announced soon.
Check out www.fairshop.ie for further details
Sinn Féin National Draw 2016
An initiative for dialogue
— — — — — — —
Contributions from key figures in the churches, academia and wider civic society as well as senior republican figures
Premium Online Service For Only €10 Per Year
For less than €1 a month, you get An Phoblacht’s Premium Online Service. Sign up today!
- Full access to all An Phoblacht articles
- Interactive online PDF Booklet of each edition
- Access to our historic Archives
- Discounts for the Online Sinn Féin Shop
Special 1916 Centenary Edition
• Introduction by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams
• 1916 Ceannairí | Biographies of the leading men and women who took part in the Rising
• Seven Days, Seven Men, Seven Hills | By Éamonn Mac Thomáis, republican activist, writer and historian
• Women in struggle | by Máire Comerford, a lifelong republican who witnessed central events in 1916-23
• Chronology of events
• Map and description of the main battles and major events
• The Rising outside Dublin
• Stop press! Censorship and the media reaction to Easter 1916
• Roger Casement | 1916 rebel and a national hero on the Faroe Islands
• Internationalists in the Easter Rising | Scandinavian rebels in the GPO and ANZAC troops in Trinity College