14 December 2012
Property Tax protest at Dáil hears loanshark warning
GOVERNMENT TDs debating the Property Tax Bill on Friday afternoon heard opposition to the tax on family homes when more than a hundred members and supporters of Sinn Féin turned up to demand that Fine Gael and Labour abandon yet another unfair tax.
Speaking at the demonstration, Sinn Féin Environment, Community and Local Government spokesperson Brian Stanley TD told demonstrators this Bill will drive even more hard-pressed families into the arms of loansharks.
Sinn Féin Deputy Leader Mary Lou McDonald TD described the bill as a “Family Home Tax”. She told supporters Sinn Féin will resist the Property Tax “every step of the way”.
Special 1916 Centenary Edition
• Introduction by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams
• 1916 Ceannairí | Biographies of the leading men and women who took part in the Rising
• Seven Days, Seven Men, Seven Hills | By Éamonn Mac Thomáis, republican activist, writer and historian
• Women in struggle | by Máire Comerford, a lifelong republican who witnessed central events in 1916-23
• Chronology of events
• Map and description of the main battles and major events
• The Rising outside Dublin
• Stop press! Censorship and the media reaction to Easter 1916
• Roger Casement | 1916 rebel and a national hero on the Faroe Islands
• Internationalists in the Easter Rising | Scandinavian rebels in the GPO and ANZAC troops in Trinity College
An initiative for dialogue
— — — — — — —
Contributions from key figures in the churches, academia and wider civic society as well as senior republican figures
Premium Online Service For Only €10 Per Year
For less than €1 a month, you get An Phoblacht’s Premium Online Service. Sign up today!
- Full access to all An Phoblacht articles
- Interactive online PDF Booklet of each edition
- Access to our historic Archives
- Discounts for the Online Sinn Féin Shop