8 December 2012
Video: Carers protest at Dáil against Budget 2013 cuts by Fine Gael/Labour
Sinn Féin Social Protection spokesperson Aengus Ó Snodaigh TD has condemned the cut the Respite Care Grant announced in Budget 2013.
Speaking in the Dáil this week, Deputy Ó Snodaigh urged the Government to reverse the cut.
“The annual respite care grant for children and others with severe disabilities is cut by €325. This cut comes at a time when respite services are being steadily cut-back across the country due to the Government imposed cuts to health service funding. This money is invaluable for the financial and indeed mental well-being of family carers.
“The Tánaiste referred to the recipients of this grant this morning as the caring profession. That’s a joke – this state has never fully recognised either the cost of disability let alone the value of caring. Using a phrase that incites the rage of many carers I’ve met, the Minister regularly refers to family carers as 'unsung heroes'. They don’t want the Minister’s patronising praise. They want you to cut them a break.
“I want to urge the Government to drop this cut.”
35th ANNIVERSARY MARCH
An Stailc Ocrais 1981 Hunger Strike
2pm Sunday 14th August
Assemble: Divis Tower, Belfast
An initiative for dialogue
— — — — — — —
Contributions from key figures in the churches, academia and wider civic society as well as senior republican figures
Premium Online Service For Only €10 Per Year
For less than €1 a month, you get An Phoblacht’s Premium Online Service. Sign up today!
- Full access to all An Phoblacht articles
- Interactive online PDF Booklet of each edition
- Access to our historic Archives
- Discounts for the Online Sinn Féin Shop
Special 1916 Centenary Edition
• Introduction by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams
• 1916 Ceannairí | Biographies of the leading men and women who took part in the Rising
• Seven Days, Seven Men, Seven Hills | By Éamonn Mac Thomáis, republican activist, writer and historian
• Women in struggle | by Máire Comerford, a lifelong republican who witnessed central events in 1916-23
• Chronology of events
• Map and description of the main battles and major events
• The Rising outside Dublin
• Stop press! Censorship and the media reaction to Easter 1916
• Roger Casement | 1916 rebel and a national hero on the Faroe Islands
• Internationalists in the Easter Rising | Scandinavian rebels in the GPO and ANZAC troops in Trinity College