14 November 2012
Avoid ‘cash for gold’ firms cashing in on Christmas crisis
'At interest rates at times in excess of 200% it is nothing short of loan sharking.'
PEOPLE under pressure for money for Christmas have been urged by Sinn Féin Enterprise Committee member Maeve McLaughlin MLA to try and avoid ‘Pay Day Loan’ or ‘Cash for Gold’ firms.
These lenders are obviously targeting families on low incomes or benefits. Maeve McLaughlin says:
“At interest rates at times in excess of 200% it is nothing short of loan sharking.”
But because the Assembly does not have fiscal powers – which Sinn Féin are trying to wrest from Westminster – there is little that MLAs can do, she said, except warn the public and urge them to join their credit unions or contact their local budgeting advice support service.
In the meantime, the Foyle MLA has urged the Consumer Council to look into the issue of exorbitant interest rates with a view to lobbying the Financial Services Authority to impose a cap on rates.
If people feel they have no option but to go to these lenders, then they should read the small print to have a clear idea of exactly how much they will have to pay back and the penalties if they do not pay back on time.
Special 1916 Centenary Edition
• Introduction by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams
• 1916 Ceannairí | Biographies of the leading men and women who took part in the Rising
• Seven Days, Seven Men, Seven Hills | By Éamonn Mac Thomáis, republican activist, writer and historian
• Women in struggle | by Máire Comerford, a lifelong republican who witnessed central events in 1916-23
• Chronology of events
• Map and description of the main battles and major events
• The Rising outside Dublin
• Stop press! Censorship and the media reaction to Easter 1916
• Roger Casement | 1916 rebel and a national hero on the Faroe Islands
• Internationalists in the Easter Rising | Scandinavian rebels in the GPO and ANZAC troops in Trinity College
An initiative for dialogue
— — — — — — —
Contributions from key figures in the churches, academia and wider civic society as well as senior republican figures
Premium Online Service For Only €10 Per Year
For less than €1 a month, you get An Phoblacht’s Premium Online Service. Sign up today!
- Full access to all An Phoblacht articles
- Interactive online PDF Booklet of each edition
- Access to our historic Archives
- Discounts for the Online Sinn Féin Shop