12 November 2012
Queen Elizabeth wants a cleaner – on the cheap
Queen Elizabeth has a personal wealth of £310million
QUEEN ELIZABETH, one of the richest people in the world, has been advertising on the Buckingham Palace website for a cleaner at Windsor Castle – at 78p an hour below the recommended living wage!
Just as campaigners in Britain were holding ‘Living Wage Week’, the British monarch was offering one of her subjects the less than royal sum of £6.67 an hour to clean up after her and ‘the great and the good’.
The Downton Abbey-style downstairs help is expected to clean the rooms and change the bed-sheets of the queen and assorted princes, princesses, and aristocrats.
The wage scrapes above the legal minimum by 47p an hour, bringing in an unmajestic salary of £13,000 a year.
Queen Elizabeth has a personal wealth of £310million, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.
35th ANNIVERSARY MARCH
An Stailc Ocrais 1981 Hunger Strike
2pm Sunday 14th August
Assemble: Divis Tower, Belfast
An initiative for dialogue
— — — — — — —
Contributions from key figures in the churches, academia and wider civic society as well as senior republican figures
Premium Online Service For Only €10 Per Year
For less than €1 a month, you get An Phoblacht’s Premium Online Service. Sign up today!
- Full access to all An Phoblacht articles
- Interactive online PDF Booklet of each edition
- Access to our historic Archives
- Discounts for the Online Sinn Féin Shop
Special 1916 Centenary Edition
• Introduction by Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams
• 1916 Ceannairí | Biographies of the leading men and women who took part in the Rising
• Seven Days, Seven Men, Seven Hills | By Éamonn Mac Thomáis, republican activist, writer and historian
• Women in struggle | by Máire Comerford, a lifelong republican who witnessed central events in 1916-23
• Chronology of events
• Map and description of the main battles and major events
• The Rising outside Dublin
• Stop press! Censorship and the media reaction to Easter 1916
• Roger Casement | 1916 rebel and a national hero on the Faroe Islands
• Internationalists in the Easter Rising | Scandinavian rebels in the GPO and ANZAC troops in Trinity College