13 December 2007 Edition
Stoneyford sectarian intimidation continues
In the latest incident a Catholic man was warned, on Tuesday, 4 December, that loyalists are planning to kill him.
The man said the PSNI arrived at his door to warn him loyalists are planning to, “kill a male living in this house but it’s only me and my three sons, the youngest of whom is only four years of age”.
The frightened father of three went on to say that the PSNI admitted they knew who was masterminding the campaign of intimidation but revealed that their superiors “don’t seem to want to know”.
The man outlined how one of a gang of well-known loyalists in the area had been charged with threatening his son two years ago but that he didn’t take the case to court, believing his gesture might ease tensions. However his gesture went unheeded as he was forced to move out of his home to another part of the village.
He also revealed that in recent weeks his mother-in-law’s house was attacked and, on Halloween night, his house was targeted in a barrage of rockets.
Reacting to this latest incident, Sinn Féin assembly member Paul Butler said:
“The PSNI know who is behind the attacks yet they are doing nothing to curtail this sectarian campaign.
“Two weeks ago, I met senior PSNI officers to discuss the ongoing attacks in the village. I was given assurances that the PSNI would take action to stop this gang. I am still waiting on an effective response.”