30 April 2009 Edition
De Brún hands in nomination papers
SINN FÉIN MEP for the Six Counties Bairbre de Brún submitted her nomination papers for the European Election at the Electoral Office in Belfast City Centre On Tuesday.
Speaking from Belfast she said,
“Mar is eol do dhaoine tá a lán obair romhain anseo in Éirinn agus go háirithe san Eoraip.
“Tá Sinn Féin ag seasamh sa toghchán ar taifead s’againn anseo agus i bParlaimint na hEorpa.
“In the time ahead we are looking to maximise the Sinn Féin vote across Ireland and to build on the work we have been engaged in; our campaign is based on leadership and our record at home and at an EU level.
“We are asking people to come out and defend the Peace Process, to vote for progress and to give us a mandate for change and maximise the vote for Irish Unity.”
Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams MP MLA who joined Bairbre de Brún MEP said:
“Bairbre de Brún has been an excellent MEP providing strong leadership and representation in Europe.
“Sinn Féin is the only all-Ireland party fighting this election.
“Along with her party colleague Mary Lou McDonald, Bairbre has defended and promoted Ireland’s interests in the EU including:
- Supporting our rural and agricultural community; backing local community and business interests; and defending workers’ rights and promoting improved rights for those with disabilities.
- Helping to secure 1.2 billion Euro for EU programmes in the north over the next four years, including 333 million Euro for peace fund (PEACE 3).
- Helping to secure Irish as an official working language of the EU institutions
- Helping secure an early end to the beef ban
- Secured further support for farmers in meeting the nitrates directive
- Supported Farmers’ concerns on the issue of the Pesticides directive.
- And opposed the Lisbon Treaty.
“Obviously, the dire economic situation is the priority for most people.
The EU election and decisions taken in Europe after this election will have a direct impact on how well we are able to overcome the current economic crisis.
“A strong Sinn Féin voice in Europe is essential to this.
“In the next Parliament Bairbre de Brún will continue to fight for EU legislation to protect rights, including employment rights and the rights of older citizens to insurance and health service; renewable energy and supporting our local businesses, rural communities and protecting the environment.
• BANNER STRAND: Sinn Féin east Belfast representative Niall Ó Donnghaile and Bairbre de Brún campaigning in Short Strand