8 May 2008 Edition
One year on - Sinn Féin Assembly reshuffle
SINN FÉIN Group Leader in the North’s Assembly John O’Dowd MLA has announced that a year after the return of the Assembly the party has concluded a reshuffle of the Sinn Féin Assembly team.
The changes include: Michelle O’Neill taking over responsibility as Health Spokesperson and John O’Dowd becoming party education spokesperson.
Paul Maskey will become the new Chair of the Public Accounts Committee and Jennifer McCann will take over as the Vice-Chair of the Enterprise, Trade and Investment Committee.
Commenting on the changes Mr O’Dowd said:
“One year on the Assembly team has looked at how the institutions are working. This includes a reshuffle of our committee membership and spokespersons roles.
“Coming on the back of the hugely successful public meetings recently held across the North where thousands of people took part in open and frank discussions, this is part of our ongoing assessment of our engagement with these institutions.
“We will continue to look at how we interact with the Assembly and its institutions and more importantly how we interact with people in delivering on our mandate and our agenda for change.”
- Health, Social Services and Public Safety – Claire McGill will replace Carál Ní Chuilín on the Committee.
- Michelle O’Neill, who is currently the Vice-Chair of the committee, will take on responsibility as the party spokesperson on Health in addition to her role as spokesperson on Disability and Vice-Chair of the Assembly all-party working group on Autism.
- Enterprise, Trade and Investment – Paul Butler will replace Paul Maskey on the committee and Jennifer McCann will replace Paul Maskey as the Vice-Chair of the Committee.
- Education – John O’Dowd will replace Paul Butler on the Education Committee.
- John O’Dowd will take on responsibility as party spokesperson on Education.
- Social Development – Carál Ní Chuilín will replace Claire McGill.
- Carál Ní Chuilín will take on spokesperson responsibility for Department for Social Development issues.
- Public Accounts – Paul Maskey will replace John O’Dowd as Chairperson of the committee.
- Standards & Privileges – Paul Maskey will replace Claire McGill.
- Procedures – Micky Brady will replace Willie Clarke.
- Assembly & Executive Review – Alex Maskey will replace Carál Ní Chuilín.